.

May 07, 2010

Excitement

In high school Coach Tokar told me that what I needed to be on the starting line for a cross country race was: excited; not nervous. There was a difference he said, and it would make all the difference. I imagined what that felt, tried to relax and motivate myself positively, but I never really achieved any feeling of eagerness. At high school and collegiate races, more often than not, I stood on the line and thought, "why do I do this to myself?"
Collegiate cycling has been different. I had a revelation about this. More often than not I was excited on the starting line. It really does make all the difference.

One of my best friends, Tammy Wildgoose, is racing at collegiate cycling nationals today and the rest of this weekend. I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday listening to author Laurie Notaro read some pieces from her hilarious books. I got a text. Tammy had posted on Twitter. "At the Madison Concourse getting ready for bed...kinda nervous for the road race tomorrow. AAHHH!"

Now, I must point out that Tammy is a much better cyclist than I am and has more riding on the results of her racing: qualification for other races, product sponsors and invitations to professional teams. I responded to her, "Just be EXCITED!" She said she was super excited and proceeded to tell me about the 6000 ft of climbing over 55 miles and a 1.5 mile hill with a grade of 10%...

I headed to the bookstore's card section to look for a card for my Mum. I found this saying on one:
"I have a lot of excitement in my life. I used to call it tension, but I feel much better now that I call it excitement." - Madeleine Costigan.
These last two weeks - of deadlines, projects, meetings to discuss my sloppily written pieces, late nights and early mornings - were; well, exciting.

1 comment:

jpnairn said...

Great post. I have been having similar thoughts that run along these lines:
I know it's going to be hard. That's why I'm doing it.

Wishing you all the excitement you can handle.